Two reasons to never (see?) use the word never:
#1:
Jillian and Jaylin have been wanting to go to the skating rink on Friday nights for several months now. James and I were not very keen on the idea of them going because we were unsure of the atmosphere. You know, as parents we worry about the type of people we leave our kids with. So, Friday, on my way home, I saw a few cars at the rink, and I stopped to talk to the owner. She assured me that there were plenty of chaperones (a policeman was even on duty) and everything would be fine. So, still unsure, James and I allowed the girls to go. He dropped them off around 7:20 and I was planning to go pick them up at 9:00.
So, my, "You can forgot it! You're never going to the skating rink on Friday nights!" was out the window.
#2
Graycin and I were at home in our "comfy clothes" watching TV and reading books waiting for 9:00. My cell phone rang at 7:40. I answered, and Jaylin, screaming and crying on the other end, informs me that she has fallen and she can't move her arm. In my shock, I stupidly asked, "Do I need to come get you?" I keep asking myself why I asked her that question. She was obviously upset and hurt. Of course I needed to go get her. So, 20 minutes and $7 less later, their Friday night skating rink adventure was over! When I got there, no adult even knew she had been injured. I got the owner, and we filled out an accident report. We didn't want to take her to the ER or Urgent Care (I think it is called Minor Care now), but the athletic trainer at James' school was at the soccer match, so we had her look at it. She wasn't sure about it, but she let us use a brace until Monday. Monday came, and she looked at it again. She felt there was a need to see an orthopedic doctor and made an appointment for us for Thursday. I have a conference to go to on Thursday, and we just aren't good at waiting, so we decided to take her to see the pediatrician who could order x-rays. So, this morning, we trooped to the pediatrician. After waiting 45 minutes to see the doctor, he told us to wait until Thursday to have x-rays done because he didn't feel like it was fractured and Jaylin wasn't screaming in pain when he moved it and pressed on it. James and I had taken off work, and didn't want to take time again, so we asked him to go ahead and order the x-rays for today. We had the x-rays done, and it didn't take 5 minutes for them to tell us it was a fracture. Several hours later, Jaylin was fitted with a cast and was told by the doctor NO SOFTBALL! Man, that sure was a downer. When he asked if she had any questions, Jaylin actually had two good questions. She wanted to know what a "growth plate" was, and how she was going to take a bath!! LOL!! So, as overprotective of my kids as I am, I have learned not to say things like, "My kid will never get hurt while skating." Getting hurt never crossed my mind. In today's society, I was more worried about her getting abducted by some crazy person or getting some drug slipped into her soda or getting asked to smoke a cigarette (or worse)--and the list goes on.
Here are few pictures from our day at the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic.





No comments:
Post a Comment